Westland Hydroleca Clay Granules 10L
- Hydroleca pebbles improve water retention and drainage
- Use in greenhouse to help control humidity
- Multiple uses from creating lightweight potting mixes in large pots to decorative pot toppings - helps avoid evaporation
- Inert medium that won't adversely affect your plants
- Can be mixed with compost or used on its own
- Decorative and structural with many uses
What Is Westland Hydroleca Clay Granules 10L?
Westland Hydroleca Clay Granules are formed from ceramic clay pebbles. The granules are made up of different sizes with a smooth, dense outer skin and honeycomb interior, that acts to absorb water (up to 40% of their own weight) and slowly releases it. These clay balls are ideal for use as a decorative pot topper, in pots for crocking or for lining greenhouse benches.
Will Using Hydroleca Granules Affect Growing Conditions in My Potting Compost?
The inert nature of Hydroleca clay granules makes them highly suited to mixing with your potting compost of choice. Used in a 3:1 ratio (3-parts soil to 1-part Hydroleca) they bring many benefits. They Hydroleca has a neutral pH so using it won't affect conditions if you mix it in with your growing medium of choice. Using these clay granules will provide more air gaps and to help avoid compaction, with the added benefit of water retention. They also provide the perfect surface to harbour plant-beneficial bacteria.
Can I Use Hydroleca Clay Granules In Pots?
Using Westland Hydroleca Clay Granules as part of the potting medium is a great idea. These handy clay balls provide additional air pockets and help to avoid over watering and soil compaction. They are also a great addition to large pots and will make them lighter and easier to transport around the garden (as well as helping with water retention and drainage).
What Other Uses Does Hydroleca have?
Hydroleca is used in many different situations across many industries. Gardeners use it to mix in with large pots to make them lighter to transport. It also helps improve drainage and avoid soil compaction.
And, you aren't just limited to pots. Here are some other alternative Hydroleca uses:
- Keeping a 5 cm depth of Hydroleca moist on a bench in a greenhouse can help improve humidity levels.
- Using a layer of hydroleca instead of pebbles or broken pots will help with drainage and provide excellent aeration.
- Houseplants will benefit if you place the pots on a layer of moist hydroleca in a deep dish - the additional humidity helps the plants
- A layer of Hydroleca looks attractive laid out on top of pots as a topper and also helps retain moisture, adds humidity and helps to avoid evaporation
- Drainage - a layer of Hydroleca in the bottom of lawn drainage channels will help dramatically increase drainage capabilities:
- The structure of Hydroleca pebbles resist compaction much better than traditional materials.
- Green Roofs - Hydroleca makes the perfect drainage layer
- Roof Gardens - Mixing 3 parts compost to 1 part Hydroleca makes the compost mix lighter
If you want to find out more, here is a safety datasheet for Westland Hydroleca Clay Granules.